Data Protection Statement
1. Four Counties Beagle Club ("The Club") is committed to a policy of protecting the rights and privacy of individuals. The Club needs to collect and use certain types of Data in order to carry on our work of running and providing the services of a breed club. This personal information must be collected and handled securely.
2. The Data Protection Act 1998 ("DPA") and General Data Protection Regulations ("GDPR") govern the use of information about people (personal data). Personal data can be held on computers, laptops and mobile devices, or in a manual file, and includes email, minutes of meetings, and photographs.
3. The Club will remain the data controller for the information held. The Officers and Committee are personally responsible for processing and using personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act and GDPR. The Officers and Committee, who have access to personal information, will therefore be expected to read and comply with this policy.
4. The purpose of this statement is to set out The Club’s commitment and procedures for protecting personal data. The Officers and Committee regard the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as very important to successful working, and to maintaining the confidence of those with whom we deal with. The Club recognise the risks to individuals of identity theft and financial loss if personal data is lost or stolen.
Lawful Basis for the Collection of Data
5. The lawful basis for the processing of personal data by The Club is by consent of the individual, clearly given to The Club. Explicit consent may be in the form of a written agreement at the time of joining or by actively requesting personal data being included by The Club on its database, e.g. seeking inclusion on a judging list, entering an exhibit into a show held by The Club, or making a request to attend a seminar held by The Club.
Applying the Data Protection Act within The Club
6. The Club will only collect personal data for the purposes of running the services of The Club and in the provision of activities associated with The Club. It is our responsibility to ensure the data is only used for this purpose. Access to personal information will be limited to The Officers, Committee and only those acting with the authority of the Officers and Committee in running events and activities for The Club. Personal data will only be held for as long as it is reasonably required to fulfil the obligations of The Club.
7. The Club does not undertake commercial marketing activities and will not disclose personal data to any third party for such purposes. Personal data may be reproduced on The Club's website (e.g. Judging List or Breeder Contact Information) and is required to be submitted to The Kennel Club annually.
8. The Club is the Data Controller under the Act, and is legally responsible for complying with the Act, which means that it determines what purposes personal information held will be used for. The Officers and Committee will take into account legal requirements and assure that it:
i. Collects and uses information fairly;
ii. Specifies the purposes for which information is used;
iii. Collects and processes information as appropriate, and only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil its operating needs or to comply with any legal requirements;
iv. Ensures the quality of information used;
v. Ensures the rights of people about whom information is held, can be exercised under the Act, including;
~ The right to be informed that processing is undertaken;
~ The right of access to one’s personal information;
~ The right to prevent processing in certain circumstances, and
~ The right to correct, rectify, block or erase information which is regarded as incorrect information.
vi. Take appropriate technical and organisational security measures to safeguard personal information
vii. Set out clear procedures for responding to requests for information.
All Officers and the Committee are aware that a breach of the rules and procedures identified in this policy may lead to action being taken against them.
Procedures for Handling Data & Data Security
The Officers and Committee must ensure that personal data is dealt with properly no matter how it is collected, recorded or used. This applies whether or not the information is held on paper, within a computer or recorded by some other means.
Personal data relates to data of living individuals who can be identified from that data and use of that data could cause an individual damage or distress. This does not mean that mentioning someone’s name in a document comprises personal data; however, combining various data elements such as a person’s name, address, telephone number and email address etc. would be classed as personal data, and falls within the scope of the DPA and GDPR.
The Club’s Data Protection Officer is the Secretary. The Data Protection Officer is responsible for ensuring that the policy contained in this statement is implemented and is periodically reviewed and amended as required.
Privacy Notice and Consent Policy
The privacy notice and consent policy are as follows and are used on all membership forms:
Four Counties Beagle Club ("The Club") has a Data Protection Statement that details our Data Protection policy and accompanying procedures. These are published on The Club’s website and are also available from the Secretary on request.
Members’ personal data (name, address, telephone number, email address and Kennel Club affixes) are processed and held on a computer for the purpose of compiling and maintaining The Club’s list of members and for use with The Club’s correspondence with members. The list of members will be supplied to The Kennel Club, but will not be issued or sold to commercial organisations.
In order to comply with The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), The Club hereby confirms that the signing and submission of any application / entry form provided by The Club will be treated as explicit consent to a member’s personal data being recorded on computers or electronic media authorised by The Club for such use. The signed forms will be stored by the Secretary in a securely held electronic or paper file.